Friday, September 11, 2020

Jason K. - Medford Fire





As I reflect on my day yesterday and taste the smoke in my mouth as we continue to breath in smoke no matter where we go.  I am thankful for living in a community that is resilient. A community that may get knocked down but it doesn’t stay knocked down. A community that comes together during a time of need. I am in awe of people who are dedicated to help others even through their own worry, pain, and loss. 

Yesterday afternoon we had the opportunity to pick up food from a grocery store in Phoenix, Oregon. This food will be a great help as we prepare to provide the meals at the EXPO for the evacuees. As we drove into Phoenix it was heart breaking to look upon neighborhoods that I had driven past many times during our years living in this community to only see the burnt remains. 

Over the years I have been deployed to various Emergency Disaster Service operations with The Salvation Army. I have come into the aftermath of tornadoes, hurricanes, fires, and floods. I have listened to the stories of what people experienced through those situations.  During those experiences I have been there to be support to people going through the emotional roller coaster of dealing with tragedy and loss. 

But, what is happening now is different. I’m not walking into a community as a stranger giving support to EDS efforts for a couple of weeks with the plan to then go back home. This is my community. This is my home. We have employees, friends, and corps/church members who have either lost their homes, are helping loved ones who lost their homes, and/or have been evacuated and are scattered throughout the state. 

I have hope and am faithful in trusting that God will give us the clarity and focus to do our part in helping, comforting, and being present as our community goes through this difficult journey.

No comments:

Prayers from Children